Humans are visually stimulated...at least I am. The other day I found myself stuck in the "vortex," also known as Facebook. It was then when I clicked on a video of a random guy cutting open a pomegranate. There is no indication that the video was posted or made by the pomegranate producers, but it was genius. It was enough motivation to remove myself from the Facebook vortex, and head to the nearest grocery store. I even have the perfect homemade salad dressing to go with this great recipe.
I hope you enjoy!!!
Orange and Pomegranate Salad
Ingredients: for the dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
One at a time, whisk the zest, juice, vinegar, and mustard, into the olive oil. Add the shallots, rosemary, sea salt, and cinnamon. Set aside while you prepare the salad.
Ingredients: for the salad
- 1 large bunch spinach
- 3 oranges, or other sweet-tasting citrus
- 1 can of garbonzo or chickpeas
- 1 large pomegranate
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Cut the very top and bottom off of the oranges. Carefully slice off the peel, removing the white pith while sparing as much flesh as possible. Cut into 1/2″ thick slices.
- Pour most of the dressing over the spinach, and turn with your fingers to coat.
- Spread spinach on a large platter and tuck the oranges throughout. Scatter with pomegranate seeds and chickpeas. Finish with a final drizzle of dressing, a scattering of rosemary leaves, a pinch of sea salt, and several twists fresh pepper.