By: Ruth-Anne Penner
The Slow Cooker journey continues...I set out to find a slow cooker recipe that includes turkey this time. When I came across this one I knew I had to try it. This recipe is a bit more time consuming than the others I've posted, but if you love lasagna as much as I do it's totally worth it. I am including the notes from the origonal author from mynaturalfamily.com because she makes some great pointers that I highly recommend following.
I used thinly sliced zucchini for the noodles. It has 4 different layers…a homemade marinara, zucchini noodles, a creamy “cheese” layer, and a ground turkey layer with fresh basil. To make the “cheese” sauce I’ve pureed sauteed summer squash and onions with coconut milk and an egg. When cooked it forms a flavorful ‘ricotta’ like texture. Because the zucchini lets out so much water when cooked, you can either salt it and force some of the water out before cooking, or cook down the liquid after the lasagna has cooked. I found that removing the liquid from the crock-pot after the lasagna was cooked (I used a turkey baster which worked very well) and quickly reducing it in a wide pan made a creamy, super flavorful sauce which made the lasagna extra good. Enjoy!
Paleo Crock Pot Lasagna Recipe
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1 Small onion diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 7 Cups tomatoes diced(about 10 small tomatoes)
- 1/2 tsp raw honey
- 1 Tbsp oliv e oil
- 1/2 Small onion diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 18 Large basil leaves chopped
Paleo Cheese Sauce
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 Small onion chopped
- 1/2 yellow summer squash chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 Cup coconut milk divided
- 1 egg
- 4 Medium zucchini thinly sliced lengthwise (6-7 slices from each zucchini)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium/high heat.
- Add the onion and salt and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds more.
- Add the tomatoes and honey and reduce heat to medium.
- Let the sauce cook down for about 20 minutes, or until no longer watery and slightly thick.
- Check seasonings and add more salt, if needed.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium/high heat. Add the ground turkey and break apart with a spatula.
- Cook the turkey for 2 minutes then add the onion, salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking until turkey is cooked through(make sure it has been broken up into small crumbles) and the onion is soft.
- Remove the pan from heat and toss the fresh basil into the mixture.
Paleo Cheese Sauce
- Heat the olive oil to medium in a small saucepan.
- Add the chopped onion, summer squash, salt, and garlic to the pan and saute for about 3-4 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Do not brown.
- Add 1/4 C. of the coconut milk to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 2 minutes, or until more than half of the liquid is absorbed.
- Place the mixture in a blender with the remaining 1/4 c. coconut milk and puree until very smooth.
- Add the egg and puree until well blended.
Assembly of Lasagna
- Lightly grease the inside of a crock pot.
- Cover the bottom of the crock pot with about 3/4 C. of the marinara sauce, spreading it out evenly.
- Place about 5 zucchini 'noodles' side by side over the marinara sauce.
- Spoon a layer of the 'cheese sauce' over the zucchini noodles (about 1/2 C).
- Sprinkle about 1/2 heaping c. of the meat mixture over the sauce.
- Spoon about 1/2-3/4 C. of the marinara sauce evenly over the meat mixture.
- Repeat this layering process until you have made 5 layers(zucchini, sauce, meat, marinara) ending with the marinara sauce.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 hours.
- After 1 1/2 hours, remove the lid.
- Using a turkey baster or a ladle, remove all excess liquid that has pooled in the crock pot(the zucchini will let off quite a bit of liquid) and place it in a shallow frying pan.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and simmer for about 5-7 minutes, or until reduced into a thick, creamy sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the lasagna in the crock pot and serve.
As a health coach my mission and purpose is to inspire lifelong positive changes for those who desire a transformation in health and life. If you like to speak with me for a FREE one-on-one session please take a few minutes to COMPLETE THIS HEALTH ASSESSMENT.