By: Ruth-Anne Penner
This year I've decided to return to Maui. The last time I was there it was for vacation. This time I am here to train.
A few of my triathlon friends have been telling me how epic the cycling is, so seven of us showed up to experience cycling on the Island of Maui.
Since I have a background in Holistic Nutrition, I volunteered to be in charge of meal planning.
I have learned two things about planning & preparing meals for endurance athletes:
- First, we really do consume an average of 4000+ calories a day, which means...
- Second, buying two full carts at Costco will only last us three days.
Among many of the special recipes that I have made, I decided to add a little taste of the Island for my friends. This Pineapple Guacamole is a perfect snack for immediate replenishing of energy, just when we arrive back from a long ride and are waiting for the main course to be served.
- 4 avocados
- 2 tbsp (or more if you’re me) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 - 1/2 c gold pineapple, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 c white onion, diced
- sea salt to taste
- squeeze of fresh lime
- pinch white pepper
Mash avocados…can we all do that? Use a fork. A potato masher, whatever you’ve got. Add the remaining prepped ingredients and give it a few solid mixes.
Serve with taro chips for the ultimate combo.