I don't deal with cold winters very well. January and February for me are the hardest months. So I decided I was going to do a little food adventure to help me cope with the cold this winter. I have a slow cooker and I honestly don't use it enough. I've been searching the internet for the best slow cooker recipes I can find. Here is the first slow cooker recipe of our Winter Stay Warm Slow Cooker Series. I hope you enjoy this Chicken Curry dish as much as I did.
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
PREP TIME 10 mins
COOK TIME 4 hours
TOTAL TIME 4 hours 10 mins
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion - thinly sliced
- 15 oz can chickpeas - drained and rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes - peeled and diced
- ½ cup coconut milk - light
- ½ cup chicken stock - low sodium
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons curry powerder - salt-free
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder - optional
- 1 cup green peas - frozen
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- cilantro - optional garnish
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, whisk together coconut milk, chicken stock, tomato sauce, curry powder, salt and cayenne.
- Add chicken breasts, onion, chickpeas and sweet potatoes. Using tongs, gently toss ingredients together to ensure evenly coated.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Stir in peas and lemon juice 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over rice and with plenty of fresh cilantro.
To reduce sodium levels, be sure to pick up low sodium chicken stock, tomato sauce and chicken breasts. (Sodium levels vary per brand.) You can also start with ½ teaspoon salt and add more later if needed.
Author: Liz DellaCroce | lemonbowl.com