So I discovered that when I come visit I make some people panic. I'm at the point now where people just open their fridge and ask, "What CAN you eat?" I did't think the paleo diet was such a hard thing to follow, but if you are accustomed to making pre-packaged and processed meals it can be an adjustment.
The other day I visited the in-laws, and if you haven't figured out by my last name, Penner, I married into a Mennonite family. One famous Mennonite dish is called schmaufat, which cream gravy dish.
No, that will not be a recipe that makes it onto this website, but I did find it on another site. If you are really interested visit mennonitegirlscancook.ca. Well, the paleo girl was coming to visit the Mennonite home and we had to experiment with making a salad with 'whatever ingredients we could find' you gotta love it when those recipes turn out to be a big hit.
I am happy to post a recipe that is completely mine. But I have to give credit to the mother in-law for having that 'Oh crap, Ruth is coming to visit and I'm not sure what to feed her' moments.
Stop Light Pepper Salad
- one package of three stop light sweet bell peppers.
- one carrot, shredded
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 mandarin oranges or 4 clemintines
- 1/2 Naval orange, juiced. Approximately 1/4 cup.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Coarse ground salt & pepper
- Chop peppers into small pieces and place into large serving bowl.
- Shred carrot with cheese grater into the sweet pepper mixture.
- Place the mandarin oranges into the sweet pepper and carrot mixture.
- Squeeze juice from 1/2 naval orange, mix together with the mayonnaise, extra virgin olive oil, fresh parsley or basil. Once the dressing is mixed add it to the salad bowl.
- Top the salad with chopped walnuts and serve.
As a health coach my mission and purpose is to inspire lifelong positive changes for those who desire a transformation in health and life. If you would like to speak with me for a FREE one-on-one session please take a few minutes to SCHEDULE YOUR FREE CONSULTATION HERE.