Studies are showing that many of the diseases we are seeing today, such as heart disease, cancer, arthritis, and many more, are caused by inflammation. If that's the case, then would eating foods that have natural anti-inflammatory effects make sense?
Turmeric is a secret spice that not only brings great taste to the foods you eat, but turmeric has demonstrated significant anti-inflammatory activity in a variety of experimental models. The yellow or orange pigment of turmeric, which is called curcumin, is thought to be the primary pharmacological agent in turmeric. In numerous studies curcumin's anti-inflammatory effects have been shown to be comparable to the potent drugs hydrocortisone and phenylbutazone, as well as over-the-counter anti-inflammatory agents such as Motrin. Unlike the drugs which are associated with significant toxic effects (ulcer formation, decreased white blood cell count, intestinal bleeding), curcumin produces no toxicity.
Since you are making a commitment to your health why not add these health benefits of turmeric to your soup this week?
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped, skins included
- 1/4 head of white cabbage, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups leaks. chopped (white parts only)
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp fresh group pepper
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- Pre heat the oven at 350 degrees.
- Mix the chopped sweet potato with, half the chopped onion, 2 chopped cloves of garlic, 1 tsp of sea salt, 1 tsp of turmeric, and 1 Tbsp of avocado.
- Place mixed ingredients on a baking sheet and bake for 30min.
- Meanwhile add remaining ingredients, minus the vegetable broth to a pan and sauté on low for 10 minutes.
- For a chunky version of soup, set aside a small portion of sautéed vegetables and sweet potato.
- Add remaining sauté vegetables, sweet potato, and 2 cups of vegetable broth to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining sautéed vegetables and sweet potatoes to soup mixture for a chunky texture.
- Serve and enjoy.
Note: If you own a high powered blender like Vitamix & prefer a smooth soup texture then you can skip #5 and #7.